← Programs / Commerce (Business)
The Sprott School of Business offers a Bachelor of Commerce (Honours) program that provides a complete business education. The program is very flexible with eight concentrations, as well as options to add co-op, study abroad and/or a minor in another subject.
The first two years of the BCom program consist of foundation courses in all business areas. You will also develop critical skills in various forms of business communications, including presentations, cover letters and resumés.
The Sprott School of Business also offers a separate Bachelor of International Business degree program.
Experience firsthand what Sprott has to offer by shadowing a Sprott student for a day. Learn more and register now for Sprott Student for a Day!
The Sprott School of Business also offers the following graduate programs: Master of Business Administration (MBA), Master of Accounting, MSc/PhD in Management.
The Carleton advantage
Business is personal at Sprott. Here you’ll belong to a spirited and connected student community that offers endless opportunities to explore your interests and build your personal and professional networks, while gaining valuable skills and experiences that help you stand out to employers.
- Home to a tightknit community and ready-made network for students.
- Outstanding student support.
- Close interaction between faculty and students.
- Real-world learning through industry speakers, class trips, case studies, hands on projects involving real organizations as clients, and pratica in all concentrations.
- Career development from first to final years.
- Experiential learning opportunities, such as interuniversity case competitions and Sprott’s student-managed investment fund.
- Award-winning faculty who have been recognized for teaching and research excellence.
- Research-intensive culture brings latest business knowledge directly to the classroom.
- Unique experiences that expose students to a variety of cultures and business practices.
- International business programs offered at undergraduate, master’s and PhD levels.
- Study abroad opportunities for all business undergraduates.
- Sprott students participate in and win international case competitions.
- The Sprott MBA is delivered in Canada, China and Colombia.
- International faculty.
- Campus-wide venture accelerator provides funding, training, support, mentorship and workspace for student entrepreneurs.
- Academic programs: Bachelor of Commerce,Entrepreneurship, Minor in Entrepreneurship; Master’s degree in Technology Innovation Management.
- Sprott is home to 15 student-run organizations.
Sprott Business Career Management Centre
Sprott’s naturally-recognized Business Career Management Centre offers a full-range of tailored services exclusively to Sprott students. These include:
- mySprott web portal for business-specific job postings and career resources;
- Industry career panels and employer events;
- Alumni networking opportunities;
- Tickets to business networking events, such as the Mayor’s Breakfast Series;
- Special workshops to help you stand out to employers, such as business fashion and social media networking;
- One-on-one career advising, resume review and interview preparation; and
- Access to CareerLeader, a self-assessment tool that matches your interests and skills to career paths, and is used by top business schools worldwide including Harvard, Stanford, Oxford and INSEAD.
Sprott Student Investment Fund
Students who dream of careers on Bay Street and Wall Street have the ultimate opportunity to gain real money-management experience and learn investment strategies through the Sprott Student Investment Fund (SSIF).
Managed by a team of top finance students, SSIF is an investment portfolio valued at over $1 million. All members of the fund contribute to the analysis process, helping to assemble the ideal portfolio that prudently grows the fund’s capital.
SSIF alumni have gone on to top graduate programs and careers in investment banking and financial services at organizations such as Bank of Canada, Brookfield Asset Management, CIBC Asset Management, and RBC Capital Markets.
Sprott students consistently earn top place finishes at national and international business case competitions, proving they are among the best in the world.
In case competitions, teams must apply the knowledge gained through all of their courses to prepare and present a solution to a real-life business problem, in just a few hours.
Through Sprott Competes, our case training program, students develop skills that are sought by employers, such as integrative thinking, decision making, communication, public speaking, teamwork, and the ability to work under pressure.. Students are exposed to a variety of real-life business scenarios and feedback from industry professionals, giving them a real-world perspective that is typically gained through on the-job experience.
Sprott students are known for their passion and entrepreneurial spirit. There are 12 student-run organizations at Sprott that offer students opportunities to make new friends, build leadership skills and network with industry professionals, while exploring their interests. All Sprott undergraduates belong to the Sprott Business Students’ Society (SBSS). SBSS organizes a number of events throughout the year, including the annual Business Banquet, 5 Days for the Homeless campaign, case competitions, sports tournaments and social events.
The capital advantage
At Carleton, we have the distinct advantage of being situated in Canada’s Capital, Ottawa. Our location offers unique opportunities for students and a complementary blend of city life and nature, culture and heritage, business and government.
For students, Ottawa offers employment and co-operative education opportunities in the public, private and not-for-profit sectors. Students have many opportunities throughout the year to network with industry experts, who often take part in courses as guest speakers and presentation judges.
Known as the seat of Canada’s federal government, Ottawa offers an unparalleled international network of government departments, international agencies, global companies and an extensive diplomatic community.
Ottawa is home to a global technology hub of over 1,900 companies, ranging from multinationals to small and medium-sized enterprises. Ottawa boasts a vibrant entrepreneurial culture.
Ottawa offers the best of both worlds—the benefits of a big city with the comforts and safety of a small town. Ottawa was ranked the best place to live in Canada by MoneySense magazine. It ranks third in North America and 19th in the world in Mercer’s Quality of Living Survey.
As the nation’s capital, Ottawa hosts many visiting dignitaries, major sporting events and festivals, including Winterlude, Bluesfest and Canada Day. Here you will find national museums and historic sites, as well as the Ottawa Senators hockey team, and former Grey Cup champions – the Ottawa Redblacks!
Ottawa is one of the world’s most picturesque capitals with many parks, green spaces and waterways. Winter activities include skiing, snowboarding and ice skating along the Rideau Canal, the world’s longest skating rink. In warmer months, Ottawans enjoy cycling, golf, white water rafting, ziplining and more. Just minutes from downtown lies Gatineau Park, 361 square kilometers of forest, lakes, beaches, nature trails, and stunning lookouts.
Carleton’s campus is situated a short ride from Parliament Hill and Ottawa’s downtown core. Our self-contained campus is bordered by the Rideau Canal, Rideau River and a quiet residential neighbourhood. The campus is well serviced by public transportation, with several bus routes and light rail stop on campus.
Sprott’s Bachelor of Commerce (Honours) program delivers a complete business education with the choice of eight concentrations andoptions to add co-op, study abroad, and/or a minor in another subject.
In the first two years of the BCom program, you will take courses in all key areas of business. You will also develop critical skills in various forms of business communications, including oral and written presentations.Upper years provide an opportunity to specialize in a concentration, or continue without a concentration. It is also possible to pursue a double concentration.Enhance your degree by taking part in co-op or an international exchange at one of over 175 partner institutions in more than 35 countries.
You can also add a minor from another faculty for even greater career flexibility.
- Information systems
- International business
- Supply Chain Management
More information on the concentrations can be found below.
In today’s global business environment, international experience is a standout item on your resumé. Studying abroad offers students a transformative opportunity to be immersed in another culture and region of the world. Students develop cross-cultural skills and a global perspective.
Study abroad is open to all Sprott undergraduates. Through Carleton’s exchange agreements, students pay Carleton tuition and receive transfer of credits for successfully completed courses. Bachelor of Commerce students can study abroad for up to two terms at one of Carleton’s 175+ partner institutions in more than 35 countries.
Sprott students have many opportunities to gain international experience, including taking part in international case competitionsand international study tours.
Co-operative education (co-op) is an option open to the students in the Bachelor of Commerce program. Through co-op, you will:
- Gain business-related work experience.
- Network with industry professionals, gaining valuable references and future contacts.
- Learn from a number of mentors and tutors.
- Develop marketable skills.
- Learn how to find work in a competitive job market.
- Earn money to help offset student debt.
As a co-op student, you will alternate study terms with four or eight month work terms, which begin the summer after second year. Typically, an additional one to two academic terms are required to complete your degree.
Where can your Bachelor of Commerce lead you? Here is just a sampling of career paths you can pursue with your degree. (Further education may be required.)
- enterprise risk advisory
- financial and management accounting
- corporate and personal taxation
- commercial banking
- corporate finance
- financial planning
- investment banking
- money management
- real estate
- business development
- small business consulting
- application development
- business analysis
- content management
- data analytics
- database administration
- IT consulting
- IT management
- network administration
- project management
- business analysis
- business development
- foreign affairs
- international finance
- international human resources
- international marketing
- international trade
- regulatory affairs
- brand management
- digital marketing
- marketing communications
- marketing research
- product marketing
- public relations
- general management
- labour relations
- management consulting
- performance management
- strategic human resources
- training and development
Supply Chain Management
- business analysis
- business transformation
- E-supply chain management
- global supply chain management
- inventory management
- manufacturing management
- project management
- quality assurance
Many BCom alumni have gone on to graduate programs in Business, Finance, International Affairs, Law, International Development, Communications and more. The Sprott MBA accelerated stream allows business graduates to complete the program in 12 months including an internship.
The Sprott Master of Accounting is CPA accredited and provides direct access to the CPA Common Final Exam.