Check application deadlines and requirements
Mature applicants must fulfill all necessary program prerequisites before applying. Mature applicants must have:
- secondary school graduation in an academic program (required average will vary according to program); or
- completed, as a Special Student at Carleton University, one appropriate full credit (or two half credits) with a C- or better standing in the first attempt (or in both of the first two half credit attempts); or
- other academic or work experience which, in the opinion of the admissions committee, indicates a likelihood of success at university.
Mature applicants must submit the following:
- Biographical information (approximately 500 to 1000 words outlining what you have been doing since leaving full-time studies, your goals, what you expect to gain from a university education and why you feel you will be successful in your studies)
- Transcript of secondary studies and/or most recent studies. Mature applicants are not normally considered for admission to Public Affairs and Policy Management, Music, Journalism, Commerce or International Business. The admissions committee reviews all applications on an individual basis. Admission requirements vary by program. Learn more about prerequisite subjects.
The general application deadline for fall admission (September 2020 entry) is June 1, 2020.
Please note, some programs have earlier application deadlines and may also require portfolios or additional documents. Find out more about the programs with additional admission requirements.
The deadline to apply for winter admission (January 2020 entry) is November 15, 2019. Only a limited number of programs permit entry in the winter term. Please see the January Admissions webpage for program availability.
Apply online and track application
Applicants who have or are currently taking Carleton credit courses as Special Students should apply directly using our online application for Carleton students. Applicants who have never studied at Carleton should apply online at the Ontario Universities’ Application Centre (OUAC) website.
- Base Application Fee charged by the OUAC: $156
- Admission Processing Fee charged by the OUAC on behalf of Carleton University: $67.25
- Fee for each university/program choice beyond the initial base three university choices: $50
You are required to reveal all previous secondary and post-secondary studies (whether they were successfully completed or not) when completing the application for admission.
Within five days of submitting your application, you will receive an email confirming that we received your application. This email will contain your Carleton applicant number and MyCarletonOne (MC1) username, and will also provide you with important details on how to check the status of your application. You will also receive this information as part of an acknowledgement package that will be mailed to you.
With your MC1 username you can access Carleton Central and check the status of your application at any time. If we are missing documents or need more information to process your application, we will post this information on Carleton Central. Be sure to check your application frequently and contact us with any questions you may have.
Send in additional documentation before deadlines
If you’re applying to a program with specific application requirements, you’ll also be required to provide additional documentation to support your application. Original or notarized documents can be sent to the following address:
315 Robertson Hall
1125 Colonel By Drive
Ottawa, ON K1S 5B6, Canada
If you are sending paper documents, it may take up to seven to 10 days for the document to appear on Carleton Central from the time it is received by Carleton University. Please do not send duplicate documents until you have confirmed with Admissions Services that additional copies are required.
If your first language is not English, you will be asked to prove your language proficiency.
Receive admission decision
You will receive an admission decision within four to six weeks upon review of your most recent grades. If you are admitted, you can view your full offer package through Carleton Central by clicking on the View Offer Details link on the Application Summary page. Important information about your degree program and more are included with your offer. Any conditions associated with your offer will appear in your offer letter. Please review the conditions carefully and contact us if you have any questions.
Accept your offer of admission
If you receive an offer of admission and wish to accept, you need to confirm by the date indicated on your offer letter in order to reserve your space in the program.
If you applied directly through the Carleton University website, log in to Carleton Central and accept your offer on the Admission Offer Details page.
Important: you must complete all steps when responding to an offer of admission at the OUAC. A completed transaction will generate a confirmation number. You cannot accept an offer of admission from two Ontario universities. A second confirmation will automatically cancel the first.
Read and note any conditions identified in your offer. You will need to fulfill all conditions before the end of August for the fall term.
You may apply for a space in residence by submitting an application to be included in the lottery to be held on June 11, 2020. Visit the Housing website for more information.
Once you accept your offer of admission, the next thing to do is plan your registration.