While you’re engaging with us online
Virtual community guidelines
We believe in creating safe, inclusive and accessible spaces for learning that extends beyond our campus through a variety of virtual platforms.
While there are many benefits of participating in virtual events, we are mindful of security and safety concerns that may arise within these spaces. The following guidelines help us ensure safe and productive environments for participants, hosts and facilitators to engage online:
- The chat function will be open throughout our virtual events. We encourage respectful dialogue in the chat function at all times.
- Inappropriate comments or speaking out of context by any participant will result in the individual(s) privately being asked to stop, and/or be removed if the behaviour continues.
- Please mute your line unless speaking. If you would like to speak, please use the raise hand function to do so.
- If any major disruptions interrupt the hosts’ ability to keep control of the virtual platform, we will ask everyone to log off immediately.
Carleton is dedicated to creating accessible and inclusive communities, both on-campus and online. To ensure accessibility for participants in our virtual events and spaces, we offer:
- closed captioning options built into Microsoft Teams and Zoom platforms (in Microsoft Teams, click on the three-dot ‘More actions’ icon on the top, right-hand corner of the meeting window and select ‘Turn on live captions’);
- visible presenters and clear audio; and
- the option to view downloaded events afterward.
For more information about accessibility at Carleton, visit carleton.ca/equity/accessibility.