Applicants to the Bachelor of Industrial Design program will need to satisfy academic admission requirements and submit a portfolio of work that demonstrates a range of 2D and 3D design creativity and an aptitude for the study of industrial design.
- Session 1: Friday, January 31, 2020
- Session 2: Friday, February 14, 2020
- Session 3: Friday, March 6, 2020
March 1: Deadline for receipt of applications by Admissions Services
April 1: Deadline for receipt of portfolios by the School of Industrial Design
Information sessions provide an important opportunity to learn more about the school and visit the design studios, workshops and laboratories. You may bring your portfolio (completed or in progress) or early examples for feedback. Information session dates can be found at the School of Industrial Design website.
Successful candidates are chosen from a large pool of applicants. The design of the portfolio is important and the Admissions Committee will also be considering the quality and clarity of the work presented.
Your portfolio should include:
- Resume (academics, work experience, interests, and other);
- Statement of interest with reasons for wanting to study industrial design; and
- Diverse selection of 2D and 3D creative work with explanatory notes. (Creative work may include freehand and computer-generated drawings, technical drawings, paintings, graphics and photographs, and images of 3-dimensional work such as sculptures, models, renovations, furniture, fashion items and other. It is useful to show both the process and final work).
The School of Industrial Design offers a straightforward digital only submission process. All details are available at the School of Industrial Design website (carleton.ca/id) for preparing a portfolio, including portfolio guidelines and portfolio samples and videos. It is important to clearly follow format requirements to be considered for acceptance.