Requesting Transfer Credit

University and College Students

In general, students who have studied at a Canadian University or College will automatically be assessed to advanced standing credit without formally requesting or petitioning for transfer credit.

Exceptions to this are students entering Engineering. These students must petition for credit and provide detailed course outlines and syllabi. Please follow the link below to view instructions for requesting Engineering credit.

Students seeking transfer credit for courses taken outside of Canada must provide full course outlines (syllabi) for a transfer credit evaluation to take place.

Please note: in all cases, students must request all transfer credit at the point of admission. However, we know that sometimes course descriptions can be difficult to obtain. As such, students have up to one year from the date of admission to submit course descriptions and request transfer credit. After that date, requests for transfer credit will not be accepted.

Submission of Transcripts and Academic Documents

CEGEP Students

Credit for CEGEP students is awarded at the point of admission. Typically with any CEGEP applicant there are options with regard to the credit that can be awarded. We try and choose the credit pattern that advantages the student most in their chosen major.

Occasionally, students change their major or degree and petition for different credits from their CEGEP studies. There is no need to formally petition for credit in this circumstance, simply contact the office of admissions at: and ask for your CEGEP credit to be re-designated. Please remember to provide us with details around your major or program change and the transfer credit you are requesting.

Appealing a Credit Evaluation

When courses are evaluated students may receive one of three possible decisions.

  1. The course may be evaluated as ‘no credit’ which means that the course is not equivalent to any course offered at Carleton.
  2. The course may be assigned a generic credit. For example an English course taken at another institution may be given an evaluation of ENGL 1XXX. This means that the course is equivalent to a first year university level English course but does not correspond exactly to any of our first year English courses.
  3. The course may be given an exact equivalent to a Carleton course

If you have received either no credit or a generic credit for courses you have taken at a previous institution you may appeal to have the course evaluated again. You may only submit this petition if you have new and detailed information about the course that was not presented during the first evaluation.


More Ways to

Stay Connected with Carleton

Sign up for Carleton 360

Get started in Carleton360 to receive tailored information on our programs, student services and community.

Take a virtual campus tour

Explore Carleton's beautiful riverside campus inside our virtual tour. More scenes coming soon!