After Admission – International Applicants

We’re excited to welcome you to the Carleton community!

First of all – it’s important to view your full offer package in Carleton 360 for information about your degree program, scholarship offer (if applicable), residence and more. And also – be sure to celebrate this milestone! Share your happiness with @Carleton_Future.

What To Do After Being Admitted

1. Accept your offer

  • If you applied directly to Carleton, you can accept your offer of admission on Carleton 360. If you applied through OUAC, you must accept your offer through your OUAC account.
  • If you have been offered a space in residence, you will need to complete the response forms on the Housing website and pay your room deposit by the deadline in early June. If you have not been offered a room with your admission package and wish to live on campus, you will need to complete an application form on the housing website to be entered into the housing lottery.
  • Remember to review your offer of admission for any conditions. If you have studies in progress, you’ll need to submit final grades in order to maintain your offer.
  • If you received an early/conditional offer, you may have a limited period of time to accept your offer. Please contact us directly if you have any questions regarding that timeframe.

Once you accept your offer, we will request a provincial attestation letter (PAL) for you. We usually receive PALs within a week after you have accepted your offer of admission. We will upload the PAL to Carleton360 together with your offer letter. No action is required from you unless you are an international student studying at an Ontario curriculum high school outside of Canada. In this case, please contact us at to request an attestation letter.

Learn more about attestation letters on our 2024 Study Permit FAQs page.

2. Activate your Carleton student email

  • University departments and faculties will start communicating with you through your Carleton email. It’s important to set up so you don’t miss important information.
  • How to set up your Carleton student email

3. Apply for a study permit

* Please note the study permit application process has changed as of January 22, 2024. See our 2024 Study Permit FAQ page. In addition, you may wish to check the IRCC website for the latest updates.

  • If you are not a permanent resident or Canadian citizen, you will need a study permit to study in Canada. You must apply for this permit using the page entitled “Student Information for a Study Permit” and provincial attestaton letter (PAL) included with your offer of admission. Carleton University is a Designated Learning Institution (DLI) as per Citizenship and Immigration Canada, permitted to host international students. The University’s DLI number appears on this form.
  • Please consult your nearest Canadian consulate for complete regulations and application procedures at least six months before you intend to begin your studies and visit Citizenship and Immigration Canada for more information.
  • If you have questions about study permits, please contact our licensed in-house immigration advisors for free advice:

4. Register for courses online

  • After accepting your offer of admission, you will receive information on how to register for your courses.
  • Registration takes place online in June/July.

5. Pay fees

  • After registering in your courses, you must arrange to pay your fees in order to finalize your registration.
  • Tuition fees can be paid at the start of the academic year, or in installments at the beginning of the Fall and Winter terms (end of August and beginning of January).

6. Prepare to come to Canada

  • The International Student Services Office (ISSO) is available to assist you at any time prior to your arrival on campus and during your studies. The ISSO provides travel planning and support, helpful checklists for new students, assists with your transition to Canada and Carleton and offers immigration advising, group mentoring and fun social, cultural activities and events.
  • Before coming to Canada, you need to register in and complete I-Start, the free, online orientation for international students.
  • Be sure to register for the campus-wide Fall Orientation activities that take place during the first week of September. And don’t miss Welcome Week for International Students!
  • The University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP) for international students provides you with basic and emergency health insurance while studying in Canada. You will automatically be enrolled in UHIP once you register for classes, and the costs will be included in the calculation of your fees.

Have questions? Get in touch!

More Ways to

Stay Connected with Carleton

Sign up for Carleton 360

Get started in Carleton360 to receive tailored information on our programs, student services and community.

Take a virtual campus tour

Explore Carleton's beautiful riverside campus inside our virtual tour. More scenes coming soon!