Petitioning for Advanced Standing Credit

If you are attending a university outside of Canada and you are pursuing undergraduate degree level studies, you must submit detailed course descriptions in order to be assessed for advanced standing (transfer) credit. If you plan to request credit, please note the following:

  • You must arrange to have official course descriptions sent directly from the institution to Carleton in a sealed envelope
  • The course descriptions must have the official ink stamp or raised seal of the institution
  • Alternatively we will accept a notarized copy of the course descriptions. A notarized copy must contain the official stamp or seal and signature of the notary
  • We also require a certified English translation of the official course descriptions if the originals were not in English
  • The descriptions should detail the course content of the subjects you have studied by topic, number of credit hours and type of instruction (lecture, lab, etc.)
  • If the course was taken more than 4 years ago, please provide the description that was in effect at the time the course was taken.

Providing official course descriptions and the corresponding English translation is the only method of obtaining transfer credit from previous post-secondary studies. Carleton University does not have placement tests or equivalence examinations.

Please note: Documents submitted in support of an application for admission become the property of the University. Carleton University retains electronic student files for all students admitted for the 2014 summer term and beyond. Original documents that have been digitized for inclusion in the student’s file are destroyed in compliance with the University’s privacy policies. In some cases, original documents may be returned to the applicant. Contact Admissions Services for more information.

In all cases determination of advanced standing credit depends on the grades you achieved, the type of institution you attended, the degree program(s) at Carleton you are applying for and the relevance of the course to your proposed degree.

The evaluation of transfer credits can be a lengthy process so it is important to submit all your documents at least three months before the beginning of the term. That way you will be able to register for courses based on a more accurate assessment of your previous studies.

Please Note: There is a separate petition process for students who are admitted to Engineering. If you have been admitted to Engineering and wish to petition for credit please consult Admissions Services for instructions on how to proceed.

More Ways to

Stay Connected with Carleton

Sign up for Carleton 360

Get started in Carleton360 to receive tailored information on our programs, student services and community.

Take a virtual campus tour

Explore Carleton's beautiful riverside campus inside our virtual tour. More scenes coming soon!