Home / Blogs / Madison /
Staying for the Summer!
Another school year has come to an end. It’s crazy to think that I only have one more year left to go at Carleton! Unlike the past two summers (where I returned home to Regina to work), I have decided to stay in Ottawa this summer and enjoy the city. As I had never previously spent a summer here, I thought it would be exciting to stay, work and socialize with friends who are doing the same thing!
I must admit, my initial job and apartment hunt were very stressful and made for a rather busy end to my April. Having previously interviewed to be a Parliamentary Guide on Parliament Hill, I was waiting to hear back from the program and beginning to seek out other options in between hunting for a new place to live. Fortunately, I hit a lucky streak, and ended up getting a job and a house within the same week! I am proud to announce that I am an official tour guide at Parliament Hill for the summer, and am also the new tenant of an adorable one-bedroom apartment in the ByWard Market! Not only do I get to work with great individuals on The Hill, but I also get to come home to a peaceful oasis that I can call my own!
I’m currently blogging to you from Parliament Hill (I’m on my lunch break!) and need to get back to work fairly shortly. But before I do, here are some helpful tips to enjoy the summertime in Ottawa (or at least the tips I’ve learned thus far!).
1. You can never wear too much sunscreen
2. Hide from the humidity at all costs (it will follow you even in the shade!)
3. Catch as many concerts as you can, the musical talent in Ottawa is out of this world!
4. You can never eat too much gelato/ice cream
5. Catch the dueling pianos at Fat Tuesdays restaurant and eat their jambalaya
6. Mooney’s Bay is the perfect beach escape on your time off
That’s all for now! I will blog back soon with more adventures from Parliament Hill!
Leave a Reply